Welcome back! We hope you had a lovely holiday and are ready for the summer term!
Our topic for this half term is ‘Growing’. We will begin by looking at plants, examining and planting a variety of seeds both indoors and out, and tracking their progress as they grow. We will also perform an experiment to look at what seeds and plants need to grow and be watching carefully to see the results. We will follow this by looking at the lifecycles of butterflies, frogs and chickens, and by tracking the development of some caterpillars and frog spawn at school. Finally, we will end the topic by looking at how we as humans grow and change as we get older. We may need some baby photos to help with this but will provide further details nearer the time.
The topic for the second half of the term will be ‘Minibeasts’. Again, this will be very ‘hands on’, exploring and investigating the wildlife in our local area as well as further afield. As many of our topics this year have involved looking at animals (how they are adapted to their different habitats and some of their lifecycles) we are planning a trip to Paradise Wildlife Park with Year 1 in July to see some of the animals we have discussed first hand. This will provide an ideal opportunity to both consolidate and extend the children’s learning. We will pass on further information concerning the trip as details are confirmed.
Daily sessions of Read, Write Inc will continue, as will Maths lessons in which we will be looking at and solving problems involving money and time, and the concepts of doubling and halving.
– Reading books are changed on Mondays and Fridays.
– Spellings are tested weekly on a Friday.
– P.E. takes place on Mondays. Please ensure the children have kits in school on this day although it is helpful if they remain in school throughout the week in case we need to reschedule. As we will try to make the most of any good weather this term, could you please also ensure the children have trainers for outdoors use.
– Show & Tell takes place on Friday afternoons on a rota system. The dates for each biscuit group are as follows:
|27th Apr||4th May||11th May||18th May||25th May|
|Bourbons||Cookies||Custard Creams||Digestives||Jammie Dodgers||
|15th June||22nd June||29th June||6th July||13th July|
|Bourbons||Cookies||Custard Creams||Sports Day||Digestives||
A few dates for your diaries:
– Our class assembly will be on Friday 6th July at 9.15am. You are all very welcome to attend.
– Sports Day is on Friday 29th June. This consists of a carousel of activities in which the chn take part in ‘house teams’ in the morning, followed by running races in the afternoon. Parents are welcome to support their children for either or both events but will be required to leave the school site during lunch break.
– Our Summer Fair this year is on Saturday 16th June at 4pm. This is a very popular event in our school calendar and not to be missed!
We are looking forward to another very busy and enjoyable term. As always, if you have any questions or concerns at any time, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Mrs Jenny Kerr and Mrs Jane Carmichael