Welcome back! We hope you had a lovely Easter break and are ready for the summer term!
Our topic for this half term is ‘Growing and Life cycles’. We will begin by looking at plants, examining and planting a variety of seeds, both indoors and out, and tracking their progress as they grow. We will also perform an experiment to look at what seeds and plants need to grow and be watching carefully to see the results. We will follow this by looking at the life cycles of frogs and ducks or chickens, hopefully by tracking the development of some frog spawn at school and watching some ducklings or chicks hatch over in the Nursery. Finally, we will end the topic by looking at how we as humans grow and change as we get older. We may need some baby photos to help with this but will provide further details nearer the time.
The topic for the second half of the term will be ‘Minibeasts’. Again, this will be very ‘hands on’, exploring and investigating the wildlife in our local area as well as further afield.
We are looking at several possibilities for a school trip this term to support and enrich one of the topics taught this year. We will let you know the details as soon as they are finalised.
Daily sessions of Read, Write Inc will continue as usual, as will Maths lessons in which we will be looking at and solving problems involving money and time, and the concepts of doubling and halving.
– Reading books are changed on Mondays and Fridays.
– Spellings are tested on Fridays.
– P.E. takes place on Mondays. Please ensure the children have a kit in school on this day although it is helpful if they remain in school throughout the week in case we need to reschedule. As we will try to make the most of any good weather this term, could you please also ensure the children have trainers for outdoors use.
– Show & Tell takes place on Friday afternoons on a rota system. The dates for each biscuit group are as follows:
|21st April||28th April||5th May||12th May||19th May||26th May|
|9th June||16th June||23rd June||30th June||7th July||14th July|
A few dates for your diaries:
– Our class assembly will be on Friday 7th July at 9.15am. You are all very welcome to attend.
– Sports Day is on Thursday 6th July. This consists of a carousel of activities in which the chn take part in ‘house teams’ in the morning, followed by running races in the afternoon. Parents are welcome to support their children for either or both events.
– Our Summer Fair this year is on Saturday 17th June at 4pm. This is a very popular event in our school calendar and not to be missed!
We are looking forward to another very busy and enjoyable term. As always, if you have any questions or concerns at any time, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Mrs Jenny Kerr and Mrs Jane Carmichael