This week we have a quiz on British castles. See if you can research and find the answers to all twelve questions. I will post the answers on Monday.
- Which Welsh castle has a leaning tower that leans at a steeper gradient than the Leaning Tower of Pisa?
- 2. Built in 1067, where is the oldest castle in England?
- 3. Which castle was used to film some of the scenes in the Harry Potter films, including Harry’s first Quidditch lesson and the womping willow’s attack on the Weasley’s car?
- 4. Which TWO English castles are famed for having two mottes?
- 5. Which castle is said to be haunted by the ghost of Lady Glamis?
- 6. Which Kent castle sounds as if it should really be in Yorkshire?
- 7. A castle riddle: I’m a medieval castle, built by William the Conqueror and developed from a wooden fort. In 2005 I became home to a 22 tonne trebuchet that is almost sixty feet tall. Where am I?
- 8. Which is the largest castle in England?
- 9. Which English castle has the tallest Norman keep? And how tall is it?
- 10. In 1648 the Royalists took siege of Pontefract Castle using a cunning plan. How did they trick the Parliamentarians into allowing them into the castle?
- 11. Which castle has been used as a film set for King Arthur, Robin Hood and Ivanhoe?
- 12. Castle’s defensive spiral stairways nearly always turn clockwise. Conwy Castle in Wales has one stairway that turns anti-clockwise. Who was this stairway designed for?