15th January 2019
Dear Parents / Carers,
We hope you have had a relaxing and festive Christmas and are looking forward to the term ahead. We would like to take this opportunity to thank you all for the generous gifts that you gave us before the holidays! The term ahead will be a thoroughly enjoyable one for all of us in Year 2. We have attached a brief summary of the topics we will be covering over the coming weeks.
Our first topic is History-Florence Nightingale which will culminate in a school visit from History Off the Page on the 29th January. Any volunteers will be much appreciated!
Currently, Geography, Art and D and T is Our Wonderful World topic being taught weekly by Mrs Spiller throughout this term.
The Science topic is Materials and their properties building on the knowledge the children have from the same topic last year.
In Maths we will be doing statistics, Addition, Subtraction, problem Solving, Time, Multiplication and Division.
In English we will be concentrating on content, grammar and punctuation through poetry, recounts, information texts. During Guided reading we will be practising our comprehension skills including inference.
- P.E. lessons (Gymnastics and Games) will still take place on a Monday and Thursday. However, it is advisable to retain kits in school in case of non-timetabled sessions. We will start going outside again once the weather warms up!
- Maths cards also need to be practised regularly at home and the children will be tested on Tuesdays (volunteers permitting) as before.
- Spellings will continue to take place on a Friday. Please note that some may start to move away from a RWInc. Focus.
- Library books will continue to be changed every Tuesday, so please encourage your children to return any completed books and exchange them for new ones. Reading books will be changed on a Monday and Thursday as before.
- Show and tell will continue to be on a Friday. Please see the notice board window for dates.
Please feel free to come in and see us before or after school with any questions or concerns. We look forward to seeing you all at our Open Afternoon on Thursday 24th January. Thank you again for your continued support. We wish you all a very happy and prosperous 2019.
Miss Harvey and Mrs Anderson