9th January 2020
Dear Parents / Carers,
We hope you have had a relaxing and festive Christmas and are looking forward to the term ahead. We would like to take this opportunity to thank you all for the generous gifts that you gave us before the holidays! The term ahead will be a thoroughly enjoyable one for all of us in Year 2.
From Monday 13th January we will be welcoming a student , Miss Leah Barry, to Year 2. She is currently in her second year of her teacher training and will be a great asset to the classroom!
Our first topic is History, The Great Fire of London, which will culminate in a class assembly on Friday 14th February. Any volunteers to practice on the 13th of February to complete our ‘Play in a Day’ (led by Mr Bridle) will be much appreciated!
Currently, Geography is ‘Oceans and Continents’ being taught weekly by Mrs Spiller throughout this term.The next Art and D &T topics will be closely linked to this unit including foods from around the world and creating moodboards using different media.
The Science topic is Uses of Everyday Materials building on the knowledge the children have from the same topic last year.
In Maths, we will be doing Addition, Subtraction, Comparisons, Problem Solving, Time, Multiplication and Division, using a variety of strategies (please see the Calculation Policy on the school website).
The French topic the children will be learning classroom instructions, to say hello and introduce themselves, numbers and finally their ages.
In Music, the children will be working on the topic Pulse and Rhythm.
In English we will be concentrating on content, grammar and punctuation through information texts, poetry and recounts. During Guided reading, we will be practicing our comprehension skills including inference. It would be great if you could support these skills when reading at home. Please could we request children’s books and reading records are in book bags daily as we use them across the week.
- P.E. lessons (Gymnastics, Indoor athletics and Uni-Hoc) will still take place on a Monday and Thursday. However, it is advisable to retain kits in school in case of non-timetabled sessions. We will start going outside again once the weather warms up!
- Maths cards also need to be practiced regularly at home and the children will be tested on Wednesdays (volunteers permitting) as before.
- Spellings will continue to take place on a Friday as per last term.
- Library books will continue to be changed every Friday, so please encourage your children to return any completed books and exchange them for new ones. Reading books will be changed on a Monday and Thursday as before.
- Show and tell will continue to be on a Friday. Please see the notice board window for dates.
Please feel free to come in and see us before or after school with any questions or concerns. We look forward to seeing you all at our Open Afternoon on Thursday 23rd January. Thank you again for your continued support. We wish you all a very happy and prosperous 2020.
Miss Harvey and Mrs Anderson