After week one of our Savoury Master Chef Competition we can confirm our Skyswood entrants as:
Lara (Year 3)
Hamish (Year 3)
Carmel (Year 4)
Tabitha (Year 5)
Jack R (Year 6)
Ariella (Year 6)
Laura (Year 6)
Okay the oven gloves are on for our magnificent seven, and we’ll be looking forward to seeing how you get on over the next two weeks, before choosing our three finalists. Any other children who wish to have a go at cooking any savoury dishes, please send me your photos and recipes. You might be inspired by one that you see in this post!
The recipe for Laura’s scones:
Ingredients: 225g self raising flour, salt and pepper, 50g margarine, 1/2 tsp dried oregano, 50g ham, 1 courgette, 1 egg with enough milk to make 100ml.
1. Heat the oven to 200 degrees. Have a baking tray ready.
2. Mix flour,salt and pepper in a bowl, rub in margarine and stir in the oregano,ham and courgette.
3.Stir in the egg and milk leaving a little for brushing the tops, and mix to a soft dough. Knead lightly on a floured surface and pat out to a thickness of about 2 cm and cut into 6.5 circles. Re-roll the trimmings and cut some more.
4. Brush the tops with the remaining egg and milk and bake for 10 minutes until risen and golden brown.
- The recipe for Ariella and Carmel’s Bagel Quiche:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Carefully slice four bagels in half. The bigger the bagels, the better (more room for filling). Try to make a clean cut through the bagel to keep the sides intact.
- 2. Using your fingers, scoop out the insides of the bagels, being sure not to tear through the crust. Set the fluffy insides aside—you’ll be using this bread for croutons. Transfer bagel halves to a rimmed baking sheet.
- 3. Sauté veggies of your choice (sliced bell pepper, shallots, scallions, mushrooms, etc.) and cook some bacon or crumbled sausage. Divide amongst bagels, or let everyone customize their own. Toss in the scallion greens and fresh herbs, such as chopped chives or dill sprigs.
- 4. In a large bowl, whisk together 8 large eggs, 1/2 to 1 cup sour cream, a generous pinch of kosher salt and several grinds black pepper. Transfer to a liquid measuring cup and carefully pour into bagel shells until almost full. Top generously with shredded cheese, such as sharp cheddar or fontina.
- 5. Bake, rotating sheet tray halfway through, until egg mixture is puffed and just set, 23 to 28 minutes (depending on size of bagel). Heat broiler to high, transfer tray to top oven rack, and broil until cheese begins to brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve warm.
And the recipe:
Hamish’s recipe for Quiche Lorraine
- 150g self-raising flour
- Pinch salt
- 75g cold diced butter
- 20ml ice cold water
- Rub butter into flour until it looks like breadcrumbs
- Add water to form a paste
- Roll out on a floured surface
Place in a flan case. bake blind at- 180°C
- 75g grated cheese
- 2 eggs
- 125ml milk
- Ham hock & sweetcorn
- Place cheese in pastry case
- Layer ham & sweetcorn
- Beat eggs & milk pour over cheese
- Bake for 40mins at 180°C