Welcome back! We hope you had a lovely Easter break and are ready for the summer term!
Our topic for this half term is ‘Growing and Life cycles’. We will begin by looking at plants, examining and planting a variety of seeds, both indoors and out, and tracking their progress as they grow. We will also perform an experiment to look at what seeds and plants need to grow and be watching carefully to see the results. We will follow this by looking at the life cycles of frogs and ducks or chickens, hopefully by tracking the development of some frog spawn at school and watching some ducklings or chicks hatch over in the Nursery.
The topic for the second half of the term will be ‘Minibeasts’. Again, this will be very ‘hands on’, exploring and investigating the wildlife in our local area as well as further afield.
We are looking at several possibilities for a school trip this term to support and enrich one of the topics taught this year. We will let you know the details as soon as they are finalised.
Daily sessions of Read, Write Inc will continue as usual, as will Maths lessons in which we will be looking at and solving problems involving money and time, and the concepts of doubling and halving.
– Reading books are changed on Mondays and Fridays.
– Spellings are tested on Fridays.
– P.E. takes place on Mondays. Please ensure the children have a kit in school on this day although it is helpful if they remain in school throughout the week in case we need to reschedule. As we will try to make the most of any good weather this term, could you please also ensure the children have trainers for outdoors use.
Show & Tell takes place on Friday afternoons on a rota system. The dates for each biscuit group are as follows:
|26th April||3rd May||10th May||17th May||24th May|
|7th June||14th June||21st June||28th June||5th July||12th July|
A few dates for your diaries:
– Our class assembly will be on Friday 5th July at 9.15am. You are all very welcome to attend.
– Sports Day is on Thursday 27th June. This consists of a carousel of activities in which the children take part in ‘house teams’ in the morning, followed by running races in the afternoon. Parents are welcome to support their children for either or both events.
– Our Summer Fair this year is on Saturday 15th June at 4pm. This is a very popular event in our school calendar and not to be missed!
We are looking forward to another very busy and enjoyable term. As always, if you have any questions or concerns at any time, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Mrs Jenny Kerr and Mrs Jane Carmichael