This week, we’ve got a local history quiz for you to have a go at. Answers will be posted next Monday;
- What was the name of the priest who was protected by St Alban?
- Which King was captured at the First Battle of St Albans in 1455?
- Which famous professor, an expert on ‘black holes’, attended St Albans’ School from the age of 11?
- Wilfred ‘Billy’ Minter, whilst playing for St Albans City Football Club, broke an F.A. Cup record 99 years ago that still stands today. What was that record?
- Skyswood Primary School celebrate their 60th anniversary later this month. Mr Bridle is only the third head teacher since the school was built in 1960. Who were the other two?
- Who is credited as being the founder of the St Albans’ market, and when did this happen?
- Who granted St Albans with its City status, and when did this happen?
- Which pub in St Albans claims to be the oldest pub in England?
- Where does the name Marshalswick come from?
- In 1995, St Albans Rugby Club reached the final of the Pilkington Shield and played at our national stadium in Twickenham. Who were their opponents in that final?
- When was the St Albans Clock Tower built?
- Which Bishop of St Albans went on to become the Archbishop of Canterbury from 1980 to 1991?